A New Journey Starts Today

Today is officially the first day of the rest of my life. I am finally free of the job that I have disliked since day one. I can now focus on building up my own web development business.

It really surprises me how I managed to stay there as long as I did.

Why Did I Stay So Long?

The reason it took so long for me to finally give in and quit was fear. It is a scary thing to give up a secure thing, especially a paycheck. I had grown so used to the job that I could perform it in my sleep without even using my brain. So in a way, it was really easy. I just had to spend 40 hours of my time every week sitting somewhere I didn’t want to be. There was stress from time to time, but nothing I couldn’t handle.

I Need A Challenge

My job offered little to no challenge whatsoever. Everyday I did the same things over and over and never met any new people. The sheer boredom from it is what drove me crazy. I like to think of myself as a pretty smart person that has more to offer than plugging in computers for a decent paycheck.

This is what made me decide to work for myself and help people build websites and blogs. Not only is it a job that offers mobility, but it is something I am passionate about and enjoy doing. So I asked myself, “why not try and make a job out of it?”

It is always a challenge and everyday brings new things. I have met more people through this blog than I ever did at a job. And the coolest part of all is the fact that the people I have met are from all over the world. It sure beats working with the same people everyday.

It’s Now Or Never

Starting today, I am going to work as hard as I can to make this work out for the better. If I don’t try now it will never happen. I am committed 110% and have no worries that I will make enough money through blogging to stay alive.

I also hope to travel as much as possible with the freedom I have now. I have gotten a lot of responses to my travel posts and people say they love my stories. So I will try my best to keep them coming and as interesting as possible.

So stick around, my life is going to get even more entertaining.

PS. Thanks to everyone that has ever stopped by my blog and left a comment. Your feedback is what keeps my motivation high enough to stick with blogging even when it gets difficult at times.

26 thoughts on “A New Journey Starts Today

1. Carla

I am so happy for you.

I can relate to not feeling challenged on the job. As support staff, you do what you are told; no questions asked and no input.

I have my own fears about breaking away for the reasons you stated: paycheck and in my case, health insurance (something I am not qualified for outside of a group plan). Regardless, I’m sure these things will work in time.

2. Justin Post author

@ Carla Thanks a lot for checking out my post. I forgot to mention the health insurance part which is also a big obstacle. I was lucky enough to qualify for my own plan which is pretty reasonable for the price. Good luck on your own journey.

3. Adam Pieniazek

Congrats on your new life buddy!

That fear that kept you in the cube is a very normal feeling, big companies offer security but branching out on your own offers independence. It all depends on people’s personalities but I think you’ll love your new freedom, even it if means times might be a bit tougher for a while. I’m a big proponent of the line of thinking that nothing great in life comes easily so look at the struggle as a sign of being on the right track. The next few months will surely at least prove challenging!

4. Pingback: To Freedom! | The 42nd Estate

5. Pingback: They May Take Our Lives but They’ll Never Take Our Freedom! | We Demand Videos!

6. Dwayne from Probably Sucks Blog

It’s good to hear that you’re finally free of the slavery factory that is cubicle life. I sadly am still very much in the cubicle life side of things. But I am happy to report my laziness has risen by 200% and steadily climbing each day.

I look forward to the day I can give the big “F-U” and make money for myself, not someone else.

7. Jenn

What a great post! I can’t wait to see how this turns out for you. I know you’ll succeed in this, you’re innovative enough to figure out how to make enough money to be able to travel the world.

8. Gillian

I think that you had a strong will and that is why you could endure for so long. And the fact that you re now working for yourself is a wonderful thing. A commander of your own ship. Oh, how I envy you and wish the same for myself :)

9. Janet

Justin,

Great minds think alike! Your journey is exactly the one I am embarking on at the moment. Even though it’s risky to drop everything and reclaim your freedom, it’s still not nearly as risky as staying complacent! You are fabulous – and I have added you to the Blogroll on my blog.

10. Aaron

Justin,

I totally feel for you on the bullcrap of office politics. I am also one of many techs guys at my company, but being so overwhelmed that I work 60 hours a week, and traveled for weeks at a time. I lost a girlfriend because of neglect, and lost the chance to pursue many of my hobbies. You are an inspiration to all of us! I have plans of also designing my own website (have the skills, not the creativity). So I really hope you are successful in your endeavors.

11. Carla

@ Aaron- ” I have plans of also designing my own website (have the skills, not the creativity).” Funny you say that because its the other way around for me! Ha!

@Justin – I cant wait to read your next post!

12. Shane Lashley

Justin,

You have a gift with words. Reading your description of leaving and how you are looking forward to your future was like the blog equivalent of an IMAX movie. Felt I was there.

I’m just getting to know your blog – found it through Darren Rowse. I’m subscribing to your feed and can’t wait to look around some more. (enjoyed your goals too).

Keep it up – you got the gift!

Shane

13. Safari Guy

Hi Justin,

Great post, I am a new reader of your blog and I found this post whilst going through your post of your greatest hits.

The funny thing is this Friday will be my last day at my job as a web developer and the first day that I too will be working for myself on my safari holiday and beach holiday websites.

I have been leading up to this point for so long I can’t remember and like you the only reason it has taken so long is the fear of the insecurity of it all and it is good to read that someone else has gone through the same things.

All the best and you now have one new subscriber to your rss feed! :-)

14. Pingback: Life of Justin: Greatest Hits

15. work at home dad

I also had the same experience. Doing the same things over and over and not really learning new stuff.

Sometimes, one just have to jump out of the corporate life and just do the things you wanted to do. Fortunately, there’s money to be made online.

16. Pingback: We Made It To Austin!

17. Samantha

Hey Justin,

I just wanted to say that i just randomly stumbled apon your blog and i couldnt stop reading it. You are really great with words and you have completely encouraged me that i can just drop everything and go travel. Ive had my heart set on doing it for so long now, saying one day im going to do it… one day… and i have now come to a cross road in my life where i am figuring out that yeah, i can do it and i am going to! I dont know how just yet but am getting serious about it and i am going to go! Thank you so much! Happy Travels =)

18. TheFlyOnTheWall

Now after 2 years how is it going. Is it everything you thought it would be? Are you able to earn what is needed to live, eat and stay healthy? Just wondering because hubby is wanting to jump ship too but the awesome health benefits is keeping him there, that and he is so close to retirement. We are only 45 so we have lots of living to do yet.