Mexican Coke vs American Coke

mexican coke

One of the many things I’ve discovered since moving to Austin is Mexican Coke. Prior to moving here, I wouldn’t of had the slightest clue as to what it is. Now I can’t get enough of the stuff.

Mexican Coke is super addicting and delicious and there’s just something about drinking out of the old school glass bottle that makes it more enjoyable.

So I’ve decided to have a battle between regular Coke and Mexican Coke. Here we go!

Round 1: Appearance

As the old saying goes, “appearance is everything.” Even when we’re talking about something as simple as cola. Lets take a closer look at the two different bottles and see which one wins:

american-cokeAmerican Coke

As you can see to the left, the American Coke looks like any Coke you would see at a gas station. It consists of a screw off plastic cap, a plastic label, and a paper (I think?) sticker known as the label.

There’s a bunch of crap on the label about entering codes on the internet to win like a billion dollars or something. Does anyone actually take the time to read the codes off the caps and enter them online? I sure don’t.

Other than that, we have some nutrition facts, bottle information, and that’s about it.

In terms of appearance, it’s not that appealing.

mexican-cokeMexican Coke

Now lets take a look at the Mexican Coke. As you can see, the Mexican Coke features a metal cap (it’s not even a screw off), as well as a SUPER thick glass bottle.

Apparently they don’t bother with the sweepstakes in Mexico, so the label is literally burned? etched? built right in to the glass. Kind of badass if you ask me.

It has far less information on it compared to the American bottle. The nutrition facts are actually on a sticker, which I’m assuming is added once it makes its way to the US.

Overall, this bottle kills the American Bottle.

1-0 Mexican Coke

Round 2: The Ingredients

In round two, we’re going to compare the ingredients. I know neither of them are healthy beverages but we’ll forget about that for now. Here’s a closer look at the ingredients of each one:

American Coke

Water, high-fructose corn syrup, caramel color, phosphoric acid, natural flavors, caffeine.

Mexican Coke

Carbonated water, sugar, caramel color, phosphoric acid, natural flavors, caffeine.

As you can see, there’s only one key difference. The American Coke uses high fructose corn syrup, which is probably one of the worst things on the planet in terms of health. The Mexican Coke uses real cane sugar, which is at least natural.

2-0 Mexican Coke

Round 3: Taste Testing

Finally, time to taste the two and compare them:

American Coke

It’s been awhile since I’ve had a regular Coke so I wasn’t sure what to expect. I took a few sips and really focused on the flavor. For some reason, it tastes a lot more “fake” and has a chemical taste to it. The sweetness is more bitter and sort of reminds me of a diet Coke that uses artificial sweeteners.

Mexican Coke

Once I got done tasting the American Coke, I immediately tried some of the Mexican Coke. Wow does it taste better. It’s sweeter and has a less acidic/chemical taste to it. It tastes a lot more like a naturally sweet beverage such as juice.

3- 0 Mexican Coke

It’s Delicious

Well the Mexican Coke dominated this battle. I’ll continue to spend a $1.25 on the Mexican Coke in glass bottles knowing that the taste is far better than the American version.

FYI: You can now get Mexican Coke by the case on Amazon.

128 thoughts on “Mexican Coke vs American Coke

1. Clayton

I tried what would have been the *original* (Ok, not the 1886-1906 original) in the glass bottle, and it was superior to the cheap, plastic-bottled adulterated crap that we have to settle for here in the United States. Wake up! Manufacturers give us less classy-looking products in smaller sizes and for more money…what a country!

Back to the soda itself, far less acidic and “fake” tasting than what I grew up with. Can I say that I feel hoodwinked? If this is what my grandparents and great-grandparents enjoyed, then I envy them. “Gimme a dope!”

2. Pingback: Jarritos: Not Jello, But Colorful and Sweet « Julie and Jell-O

3. Pingback: Willpower « Kmareka.com

4. Milt

Fellow coke addict here,
    I travel around Southeast Asia and it is the same deal with the coke here. Coke outta glass bottles tastes the best every time. I also think that coke out of a can tastes different. Coke is my best hangover cure, I call it The Dirty Dark Doctor when used to revitalize like this

Wicked Blog

Cheers

5. David Rodriguez

I’ve never had mexican coca cola, but I’ve tried coke in Africa, and I believe it has similar ingredients to the mexican one. It seemed to be a little tastier, and a bit more vintage in its glass bottle. I must try them mexican one next time I am in San Diego.

6. Dr. Heather

I was coaxed into trying Mexican Coke and I’m so glad I did! I was at Meijer and walked down the ‘ethnic foods’ aisle. I saw several loose bottles like the one pictured at the top of this blog. I bought 3 and put one in the fridge…

I’m sipping my first Mexican Coke as I type this and I have to say that this stuff is GOOD! I am a forever friend/fan of this Coke!

7. Steve

Your comparison is spot on! I’ve always felt Mexican Coke is way better and you spelled out the reasons perfectly for everyone.

8. DocWINO

All you are getting with ‘Mexican Coke’ is merely what America drank before 1982…nothing special…no conspiracies…as stated earlier; HFCS is cheaper, plastic is cheaper.

Welcome back to 1977!!!

Pepsi/Mtn Dew ‘Throwback’ is some decent stuff too! Same concept. Dollar General carries it.

9. Stanley

Mexican Coke ftw! What amazes me is that trying some no name brand chemical cola and finding even that tasted better than the Coca crap. Sugar farmers ftw!
    Maybe Mexico should make it their national drink. Lead a resurgence in their country. Whatever, the stuff is great and up there with all the other Sugar drinks making a comeback.

10. Nostre

Beware of all the Mexican coke that is being sold. I used to get my real Mexican coke (in L.A.) in little wharehouses where the ‘roach coaches’ would buy their supplies. The coke was sold in 1/2 liter bottles and the bottles were ‘worn’, not crisp and clean. I didn’t buy them for a while until I found them for sale at a local corner shop. I bought 2 bottles and when I opened and tasted it, I knew right away that it was not the same. I have heard that these so called Mexican cokes are actually bottled in the US. What reaffirmed my suspicion was that the places that were selling them were selling the cokes in 12oz bottles. Mexico uses the metric system so you would never see a 12oz bottle unless it’s imported from the US.

11. Ian08

I have had three different forign cokes in my life.Mexican coke,German coke,and Chinnese coke.They all had their pros.Mexican coke was the best tasting,German coke was the most amount for the price(it was gigantic).The chinnese coke was awesome for the writing,pretty cool.I still get to buy the mexican cokes(by the case and bottles)because they ship them to my wegmans in wilkes-barre,pa.If you can find it hear,you can find it anywere.Their $1.39,so their pretty cheap(20oz bottles of US coke $1.50),but there only 500mL = 12oz can.I rarely drink us coke anymore.MEXICAN COKE.IS.AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!

12. riley

Americans are easy to pick out of a crowd in foreign countries because we are obese. I think the american fast food industry has something to do with that. I wish that the fast foods places would give the customer a choice and not force us to drink corn syrup drinks. Now I go there and drink tea or water.

1. regina

Other contries are getting pretty fat these days too. A couple of years back Australia beat us for fattest country in the world. I guess they only count Western countries though cuz I know certain Polynesian places like Tonga is like 98% overweight or obese.

13. carl

actually when I drink the Mexican coke to me it taste like the American coke tasted back before the new coke fiasco then the went to classic coke (where the hell did they dig up that recipe from?) this is the coke i grew up on here in the good ole USA no doubt in my mind

14. Pacitatcoke

So, do Americans get bottled coke? I mean in glass bottle, not in plastic one. I live in Malaysia and I am a super coke fan. I like drinking coke and watching coke commercials in Youtube. We don’t get glass bottled coke. I like drinking coke from vintage style coke bottle, just like I did it in the Philippines. That makes me wonder, do most of the countries stop producing glass bottled coke?

1. regina

Mostly here in the US you’ll find aluminum cans or plastic bottles. But the glass bottles are still fairly easy to find too. My grandparents lived with us for about 10 years or so and my grandfather insisted on coke in glass bottles which we got from the grocery store by the case. And this was American coke made here, not Mexican. They probably used HFCS though, can’t remember.

15. mcraw4d

The only thing I find lacking with the sugar cane version is it seems to have less carbonation (much like fountain cokes) and I prefer that “sting” you get with higher carbonation.

16. Tony

I would drink Mexican Coke, but I’m worried about the water they use, since it’s probably from Mexico…could anyone allay my fears?

1. Steve

No worries. All major branded bottling plants must be licensed, and part of that requirement are ingredients used. And since soft drink beverages are 99% water, well, no worries.

17. Steve

Not sure how old (or young) the author is, but many of us grew up with this same exact glass bottle, right here in the good old US of A. No big whoop.

18. Pingback: I’ve always wondered… « coolvballcoach