P90X: Week 1 Recap

My first week of the P90X program is officially in the books. I can honestly say it was one of the most intense weeks of workouts I have done in my life. It sort of reminded me of football practice back in high school. My entire body felt sore at some point throughout the week. I had sore muscles that I didn’t even know I had.

For all those who are thinking about doing this program, I highly recommend it. Here is a breakdown of the first seven days and what you can expect from the program. I also included the soreness level for the day after on a scale of 1 – 10, with 10 being the most sore.

Day 1: Chest & Back

The P90X program starts out with a bang. The chest and back workout forces you to do a bunch of push-ups and pull-ups with a ton of variations. I barely made it through the workout and felt super pumped up (and exhausted) by the time it was done. I was sweating more than I have in the last 6 months of workouts combined.

My first thought was I hope everyday isn’t like this…

Soreness the day after: 6/10

Day 2: Plyometrics

Just when I thought the first day had to be the hardest, this workout comes up. The plyometrics DVD basically has you jump for 60 minutes straight. I was sweating twice as much as the first day and could barely stand up when I finally finished.

The next morning, I could barely get out of bed. My quads were on fire along with my hamstrings, calves, and every other part of my body.

Soreness the day after: 10/10

Day 3: Shoulders & Arms

The shoulders and arms workout was the first one that I didn’t feel completely exhausted at the end. It goes through and has you do a bunch of different shoulder and arm exercises using dumbbells (or bands). However, it was much more intense than the old shoulder routine I was doing in the gym. I really enjoyed this DVD and all the different exercises involved in it.

Soreness the day after: 3/10

Day 4: Yoga

As soon as I saw yoga on the agenda, I figured day 4 would be an easy off day to stretch and get ready for the rest of the week. Wow was I wrong! Instead, I got my ass kicked for an hour and a half and could barely move. This is some pretty intense yoga that really pushes your body’s limits. I was not only sweating, but struggling to do some of the moves included in the DVD.

The day after yoga, I was once again sore all over my entire body. However, I did realize that yoga is a great thing to do and highly recommend not skipping this DVD if you do the program. I have a feeling I will get better at it as I do the DVD more and more.

Soreness the day after: 8/10

Day 5: Legs & Back

I was a little worried about the legs and back DVD, mostly because my body was sore from doing yoga the day before. Luckily, this DVD was not too bad. It involves a lot of lunges and squats but it actually made my legs feel better after I finished. A lot of the exercises can be done with body weight only, while a few require dumbbells or bands.

Soreness the day after: 5/10

Day 6: Kempo

This DVD was the only one that I had no idea what to expect going into it. I knew kempo was some sort of kicking or karate but had no idea what it involved. As it turns out, it’s a bunch of different kicks, blocks. and punches. More or less, it is a great cardio workout. I was sweating buckets from this workout as well, even though I didn’t feel like I was working that hard. Some of the moves are actually fun, which takes your mind off the fact that you are exercising.

What I did not expect was my calves being dead the next morning…

Soreness the day after: 8/10

Day 7: Stretch/Rest

Finally…a day to rest and let my body rebuild itself. The program gives you the option of taking the whole day off or doing the Stretch X DVD. I chose to do the DVD since I figured it would help me loosen up and relax a little bit. It’s still a 50 minute workout but all it focuses on is stretching. I felt pretty good after doing it and am pretty sure I’ll be ready to roll for tomorrow’s chest and back workout.

Soreness the day after: 0/10

Looking Ahead

Over the next two weeks, I will continue the exact same schedule above. Once those two weeks are complete, I will have a recovery week which consists of yoga, cardio, and stretching. After the recovery week is over I will be done with Phase 1 of the P90X program. From there, I will have 2 more phases to complete before I am done with the whole thing.

I’m feeling really good so far. Besides kicking my own ass, I am also eating as healthy as I ever have. I already feel leaner and stronger which is always a good thing after one week of something. In the upcoming weeks, I will do another recap and will post my photos after I am done with Phase 1.

***
Update: I managed to finish Phase 1, which you can read about here.

39 thoughts on “P90X: Week 1 Recap

1. Zak

Hey Justin, thanks for the write up! I just started p90x, and am just about to finish the first week. However, I was curious if you took any breaks during the routines? Specifically the yoga and plyometrics ones. I haven’t really worked out since high school (10 years ago), and both of those workouts DESTROYED ME!!! I could barely make it through half of them. Did you have any problems like that? Thanks

2. Sean

just finished day 2, whew plyometrics im scared of doing this next week, i was looking forward to yoga thinking it was easy, then i see the soreness meter, this cant be fun. good luck for all those striving to be in the best shape of their life too!

3. Rich

I just completed day 2 (PLYO) and I am really sore. I woke up doubting my ability to do day 3 due to the soreness. But after reading your day by day recap of week 1, I am pumped up and cant wait for this work day to end so I can get home to push myself. This is exactly what I needed to better understand the Fear Uncertainty and Doubt (FUD) that I have had and I will be sending anyone that asks me about P90X program to this page. THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR THINKING OF US!

4. kim

WOW! Thanks for being so honest and posting your outcome from your first week. I’m on day two and my muscles feel like jello…I’m sure tomorrow will be worse though. Good to know that the worst is over :) And also nice to know that I’m not abnormally sore!

5. Kristen

I found this site after typing “should I be THIS sore after P90x plyometrics” in Google and was relieved after seeing your sore meter. I have a TON of soreness in my abs from the ab ripper as well. Its gonna be a long three months!

6. workouts without weights

Justin, Good for you for taking on this P90x program. If you do stick with it, I have no doubts your body will change for the better like nothing you have ever seen. I have personally done the program numerous times and have always gotten great results. Good luck and keep up with it!

7. Shannon

I started the chest and back last dvd last night and found it very difficult being a female who is out of shape the push ups just about killed me…but I made it through. Went to bed last night already very fatigued and sore only to wake up in the middle of the night from crazy muscle soreness in my triceps. Even drinking my coffee this morning makes me grit my teeth. But as they say, no pain, no gain. Today is plyometrics and I can tell you I am apprehensive. Soreness today after chest & back 7/10.

1. todd

shannon. I don’t think you being a girl has anything to do with it. I too had trouble lifting my coffee to my mouth due to sore triceps. it can only get better

8. Jamie

Just got done with my week one, and I too am feeling stronger and have lost a couple of pounds. I am a 32yr old woman that is just trying to get back into shape and could afford to shed maybe a few more pounds. Arm and back day just about killed me, but after yoga it really stretched me out more and the soreness started regressing. I hope all the work helps! Changed the ol’ diet too, but not following their eating program. Let us know how week 2 goes!

9. Gabe

Im 33 years old. Its been along time since Ive worked out. Day one of P90X challenged me but I made it all the way through. Day 2, I woke up extremely sore. I completed the day 2 workout and was sweating heavily. After my work out I took a shower to get ready for work. While in the shower, my arms were so sore I could harly lift them to up to scrub the stink out of my armpits.

10. Jude

Im looking forward to starting today. I did insanity twice, looking to get really ripped from this. Thank you for the breakdown, im nervous to be sore again but very excited too.

11. Sean C.

I finally started the program two days ago, completing my third workout just 2 hours ago. To be honest, I had every intention on skipping the yoga X, which would be tomorrow’s workout. After reading what you posted, I am going to do it. If you said those things about plyometrics (which are true for the individuals who have not done it yet) then you must be telling the truth about the yoga X. Thanks man.